Liposuction of the Flanks, Sides and “Love Handles”
Flanks or the side of the body between the ribs and the hip, can very easily develop unattractive bulges due to accumulation of extra fat. Fat can accumulate here because of aging, pregnancy, hormonal changes or due genetic predisposition. This area is commonly called “love handles and is very difficult to deal. It can even make not so fat people look unattractive and sloppy.
Flank liposuction provides a well-designed solution to banish love handles. This is because, love handles are generally well-defined and its liposuction can produce dramatic changes. Moreover the skin in the flanks have good elasticity and can very well mold to the tighter contour.
Who is the Ideal Candidate for Liposuction of Flanks?
- Healthy male or females who have unsuccessfully tried a lot to get rid of their love handles by strict diet and regular exercise
- Patients with good skin elasticity
- Patients who have not undergone any recent surgery around the target area
- Genetically predisposed patients whose parent also have love handles
Liposuction of flanks is done to remove extra fat cells and get away from love handles permanently. It is done either with minimally invasive tumescent liposuction technique or using cannula under local anesthesia. The fat cells are first destroyed and then removed from the target area using high vacuum suction.
In most of the cases, the love handles never come back. But it is important to maintain healthy weight as any significant amount of weight gain can enlarge the fat cells and love handles will reappear.
Patient may experience some swelling, bruising and loss of sensation in the treated area for a brief period of time. All these symptoms generally go away on their own in 2-3 weeks. Although patient is not allowed to do exercise or any other strenuous activity during the recovery period but gentle movement is required for smooth circulation.
Flank liposuction produces different results in women and men
- Females get a beautiful S-shaped curve of the lower back area
- Males get more of a V shape when viewing from the back
Advantages of Flank Liposuction
- Gives a pleasing & fat-free contour to the flanks
- Provide more balance to the body
- Slimmer and sleeker appearance
- Procedure is minimally invasive and safe
- Quick recovery
- Performed only under local anesthesia
- Patient can return to their work in a weeks time after surgery
- Most importantly it drops the dress size and gives immense pleasure to the patient.