Am I a good Candidate for Tummy Tuck?
Tummy tuck is a good option for those individuals who have tried a lot to lose the extra fat from their abdominal area, but in vain. Although their efforts to lose weight may show on measuring scale but there is no actual change in the appearance of sagging and protruding abdomen. In these cases, tummy tuck should be considered to fix the sagging and protruding abdomen. But it is definitely not an alternative to weight loss and sincere efforts should be made to lose extra weight by diet and exercise before opting for tummy tuck procedure. In addition to this, surgeon considers following conditions to evaluate the eligibility of a person for this procedure:
- Healthy male and females with extra fat around abdomen which is stubborn in nature and generally remain unaltered even after strict diet and regular exercise.
- Excessive weight gain that can be because of any of the following reasons:
- Previous surgery
All these conditions may increase a persons fat specifically around abdomen.
- Frequent weight fluctuations that leads to the formation of extra skin on abdomen or can also weaken the abdominal muscle, or both.
- Individuals who have stable weight but extra fat and loose skin around abdomen.
- Lean individuals who are otherwise normal but have extra fat and loose skin around abdomen.
- Previously obese individuals who have lost considerable amount of weight but still have excess fat deposits or loose skin around the abdomen can benefit from tummy tuck.
- Individuals with good amount of intra-abdominal fat around internal organs need to first reduce this fat and then they can undergo tummy tuck procedure.
- Females who do not want to conceive after the tummy tuck procedure can benefit from this procedure specifically for removal of stretch marks. The procedure can tighten the loose muscles and can also reduce the skin around abdomen. But pregnancy after tummy tuck can lead to separation of repaired muscles and other complications.
- Individuals who have any previous surgery scars that can be internal or external are not good candidate of tummy tuck.
- The person who wants to undergo tummy tuck should not be a smoker as smoking
- can interfere with the healing process
- raises the risk of complications
If an individual is an active smoker but wants to undergo tummy procedure, then he should quit smoking at least six weeks before and after surgery.
- Physically as well as mentally strong individuals who can very well tolerate this procedure.
- Most importantly, the individual should have a positive attitude and realistic expectations from the procedure to be a good candidate.